Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Picking Flowers

The fire from last night has not burned out yet
But the arrangements are done, the relatives have arrived
It’s uncanny; every pyre around his has already turned to ashes
But it seems he has not yet given up, his fire has thrived.

The Kin had woken up at six in the morning
Had missed their breakfast, and possibly would miss office as well
So many manhours expended, so much work postponed
Just to make sure that the departed soul doesn’t end up in hell.

I bring pales of water to quench the fire, as instructed
Even after ten of them, the fire is not completely out
Now people start suspecting that something is wrong
“Call the Brahmin” They holler and shout.

I continue fetching water, an act of guilt I suppose
Oblivious of the omens and bad lucks that the wise men suspect
It’s just that I had not served him enough while he was alive
Eventually it’s out on the twenty third pour, soon before the pandit came to inspect

The puja is then started, the earthen lamps are lit
Very basic mantras are recited and nothing about him is said
Hence, I doubt the authenticity and ask one of the wise men
To which he says, “It’s getting late so that is all that will be read”

I sense a little disrespect, but there isn’t anything much I can do
And as I am contemplating, they haul me back
“Son, you need to cull flowers from the ashes”
Says my father and hands me a sack

“Be careful and don’t break them. I will be collecting the ashes”
“But I don’t see any flowers” I say. “Let me collect the ash instead”
To which he says “Put anything white you see in there.”
And then I understand, “Flowers” is a euphemism for the bones of my dead granddad.

So I sit down, still astounded at what I am asked to do
But people are already late and they can’t wait for a scared grandson
Concerned eyes are already closed for good; I see only impatient ones now
Just to see how quickly can I get the job done.

So I start picking him up bone by bone, not given enough time to cry
The feeling just reaches my hands and feet, which shiver at each hold
But I see my father shed a tear, and he sees me see him
So, he just smiles at me and lets me know that for me he is brave and bold

There’s so much that is lost, but so much more that we both will need to gain
So I smile back at him and wonder
If your childhood really ends as you grow up
Or it dies with your grandmother and grandfather.


No comments:

Post a Comment